In recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month this April, we are sharing this post on five things you can do this April originally…
In recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month this April, we are sharing this post on five things you can do this April originally published on the RAINN website. RAINN has been a longtime NRS partner and a referral source for staff when dealing with sexual abuse/ sexual assault calls. You can read the original post here.
You can make a difference by joining with RAINN this April in the fight to end sexual violence. More than a quarter of a million people are sexually assaulted each year in the U.S, but you have the power to make a difference:
1. Reach Out to a Loved One. It’s never too late to let a survivor in your life know that you care. Learn some simple tips about how to be there. The National Sexual Assault Hotline can also provide you and your loved one with confidential help, 24/7: 1-800-656-HOPE and online.rainn.org
2. Make Your Voice Heard. Congress needs to hear from you about your support for legislation to improve the criminal justice system, support survivors and bring sexual predators to justice. Visit the RAINN Action Center and contact your Member of Congress about legislation that is important to survivors, like renewing the Debbie Smith Act. It could be as easy as tweeting with @RAINN01 #ActWithRAINN.
3. Volunteer. Looking to donate your time? There are so many ways you can get involved in your community: Volunteer for your local rape crisis center or the Online Hotline or get involved on your campus.
4. Get Social. With a “share” or “RT” you can educate your networks about sexual violence prevention and recovery! Stay tuned to RAINN’s social media for content that we’ll be sharing all month long about how you can make a difference: Facebook, Twitter,Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest. Tag your posts with #SAAM to follow the conversation.
5. Become a RAINNmaker. One person is where the change starts and that person can be you. By becoming a RAINNmaker you can combine your passion with action to raise funds to fight sexual violence. Get started!
Stay in the loop on RAINN news, sign-up for our email newsletter:http://www.rainn.org/join-us
If you or someone you know has been affected by sexual violence, it’s not your fault. You are not alone. Help is available 24/7 through the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE or visit the Online Hotline.