Crisis hotline volunteers are the heart of National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We count on our volunteers to help be there for youth in crisis.
Crisis Hotline Volunteer (Chicagoland-area only)
- As part of our hotline volunteers team, you can help through our hotline and online services to assist individuals in crisis who seek out our support services.
- Crisis Line Workers are asked to make a one-year commitment and serve 2-4 hours per week. Minimum age is 16.
“Knowing that there are so many youth and families who struggle with difficult issues, and that we at NRS can help them find a way through either by providing resources, insight or a sounding board makes each shift at the crisis services center truly worthwhile! And I love spending time with the amazing NRS staff and all my fabulous fellow volunteers!”– Julie, crisis line volunteer and Volunteer of the Month for August, 2016
- Before taking their first call, each liner must complete a 40-hour training program including classroom and experiential training of our crisis intervention model.
- After successful completion of the training, volunteers are qualified to answer calls, chats, and emails in the crisis hotline and online center with an experienced NRS supervisor always present, offering support and assistance when necessary.
“I was looking for a place to volunteer. I wanted to find something that I believed in and that I felt was making a big impact. After walking past the neon green NRS “Volunteer Here” sign about a thousand times, I checked out the website. I signed up for training once I learned about all of the great work NRS does.” – Nicole A., crisis line volunteer and Volunteer of the Month for September 2016
- Learn more about the training process
- Come to an upcoming orientation.
- Complete a CRISIS LINE volunteer application today.
- Are you a current Crisis Line Worker? Log in to sign up for a shift.
Other ways you can get involved:
Administrative Support (Chicago volunteers only)
- If you are unable to make a long-term commitment, you can help short-term with administrative duties as assistance is always needed in filing, data entry, and general office work.
If interested in either volunteer opportunities, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator Rebecca Bowlin at volunteer@1800RUNAWAY.org or 773-289-1726.