The holidays at NRS can be more challenging than most places. To help alleviate the stress of the season, we found some ideas for holiday stress management.
The National Runaway Safeline (NRS) is a crisis hotline and online center. We handle problems 24/7/365. Our trained frontline team provide solution-focused interventions. We work with individuals in crisis to develop a plan of action. Our work never ends. Someone is always in crisis. The world is an unsafe place. And we are here to help keep youth safe and off the streets.
The holidays at NRS can be even more challenging than in most places. Youth will be away from home and scared and lonely. Or they will be at home and in emotional pain or physical danger. No matter what the holiday movies want you to believe, the holidays are stressful times for people not in crisis. And for those experiencing a personal catastrophe, the stress can be off-the-charts.
To help alleviate the stress of the season, we found some ideas for holiday stress management. We are providing this support for youth in crisis, families in crisis, NRS staff and volunteers, and anyone overwhelmed this holiday season.
Mayo Clinic suggests the following to prevent holiday stress and depression…
- Acknowledge your feelings.
- Reach out (to friends, family or a caring person at 1-800-RUNAWAY, 1800RUNAWAY.org).
- Be realistic.
- Set aside differences.
- Stick to the budget.
- Plan ahead.
- Learn to say no.
- Don’t abandon healthy habits.
- Take a breathier.
- Seek professional help if you need it (1-800-RUNAWAY, 1800RUNAWAY.org).
Woman’s Day gives the following tips to beat holiday stress…
- Remove yourself from stressful scenarios whenever possible.
- Use your feelings as a guide.
- Nip tense situations in the bud.
- Try the STOP method.
- Use visualization.
- Splurge on a massage.
According to ElementofGratitude.org, practicing gratitude has mental and physical benefits. Grateful people have…
- 10% less stress-related illness.
- Are 25% happier.
- Build better relationships with their loved ones.
- Are more optimistic.
- Overcome adversity better.
- Exhibit 23% lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
- Have 10-16% lower blood pressure.
- Sleep 10% longer and 15% better.
- Are 20% more generous with time and money.
May you find peace and joy this season. Happy holidays from the National Runaway Safeline!