Youth & Teens
If you’re in crisis, you’ve come to the right place. The National Runaway Safeline is here to listen and here to help.
When you contact the National Runaway Safeline...
You won’t be judged. We encourage you to speak openly and honestly.
You’ll receive help from a trained team member. Each staff member and volunteer is prepared to respond to your needs.
Your information will be kept confidential. We respect your privacy and you don’t need to provide identifying information, unless you’re comfortable doing so. However, if someone is hurting you and you give identifying information, we are required by law to report it. The decision is yours to give us that information.
You won’t be pressured for information. We won’t pry. Tell us only as much detail about your situation as you’re comfortable sharing.
The team at the National Runaway Safeline is here for you, offering a range of support services 24/7.
- Hotline – Call 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) to speak with a trained NRS staff member or volunteer who will listen and support you.
- Live Chat – Our live chat service is a quick and easy way to connect with a compassionate person who will answer your questions and provide help.
- Email – When you email NRS’s Crisis Services team, you can expect a response as soon as possible.
- Forum – Post questions or comments to the NRS forum, scroll through past posts and invite others to share their experiences with you.
- Resource Referrals – Using the nation’s largest database of agencies and services that support young people, NRS refers youth and families to local resources, such as shelters, mental health services, food pantries and more.
- Home Free – In partnership with Greyhound Lines, Inc., the Home Free program reunites youth with their family or guardian through a free bus ticket home or to a safe alternative living arrangement. Learn more here.
- Mediation and Message Service – NRS helps reestablish healthy lines of communication for youth and their parents/guardians through mediated conference calls and a message service.